Camp Officers
Commander:    Robin Ashby
Adjutant:    Jeb Hennessey

Meetings:
Date:   The second Monday of every month (except November)
Time:   7:30 - 9:00 pm
Location:   T.B.A.

The Camp Today:
The Lt. Gen. John C. Pemberton Camp primarily serves members in Chester County. It is part of the Pennsylvania "Lee's Keystone" Division of the Army of Northern Virginia Department.

The Camp is active in promoting living history, re-enactments, heritage preservation and community service. Representatives from the Camp attend living history, memorial and educational events all year both in the area and around the country. On average, the Camp is active promoting its mission at over a dozen events, both alone and in conjunction with other Camps and organizations like the Heritage Preservation Association (HPA).

Camp History:
The first Camp in Pennsylvania was founded by Baxter Perkinson in 1995 and named for General J.E.B. Stuart to honor that Commander, with whom Baxter's ancestor rode. At first, the growth of the Camp was slow and the territory covered by the Camp covered all of Pennsylvania, Delaware and New Jersey. Enrollments began to pick up once the existence of the Camp was brought to the forefront at area living history events.

By 1999, members could be found all across the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the States of New Jersey and Maryland. Due to the growth and success of this Camp, plans were begun to create a new Camp.

In 2000, a new Camp was created to honor the founder of this camp and the entension of the SCV above the Mason-Dixon Line. The W. Baxter Perkinson Camp 1926 was a milestone for the SCV in Pennsylvania. Despite the creation of W. Baxter Perkinson 1926, the area covered by the J.E.B. Stuart Camp was still too large to reasonably serve all of its members. Work began again to carve out new Camps.

Meanwhile, with two Camps operating in PA, the state was provisionally organized into an independent Division within the Army of Northern Virginia. The Division would not become self-regulated until five Camps were operating within the state.

In 2001, two new Camps were created to better serve the members in those areas where they could not reasonably travel to the meetings of the Stuart Camp. Brigadier General Lewis A. Armistead Camp 1960 serves the Pittsburgh area and Pvt. John Wesley Culp Memorial Camp 1961 serves the Gettysburg area, making a permanent presence of the SVC at that most hallowed ground.

Work began in 2002 to charter a Camp to serve the member of Chester County. In August 2002, organization began in earnest. Once chartered, this Camp, along with 1506, 1926, 1960 and 1961 will be organized in full as the Pennsylvania "Lee's Keystone" Division.

Camp Flag:
One of the many ways to honor our Confederate ancestors and their history is to keep the symbols they fought for near and dear to our hearts and lives. As we true guardians of Confederate history know, the well-known Southern Cross was not the only symbol of the Confederacy nor was it the basis for all of our ancestors’ battle flags.

As the gallant General Cleburne charged to his death under his old blue “Hardee’s Corps” styled flag, many of our ancestors lived and died under flags almost forgotten by history.

The battle flags of the Army of Vicksburg are some of those forgotten flags. Only one, which never made it from its maker to its unit until 1865, survived the war, as they were all captured and destroyed after the fall of Vicksburg. However, the historical record, as well as the one flag that survived, gives us a clear image of the flags that represented Gen. Pemberton’s Army of Vicksburg.

The standard battle flag was most likely inspired by the flags brought to Vicksburg by units that had been part of Van Dorn’s Corps. They had a red rectangle trimmed in yellow on the three non-staff sides with a large white Latin cross centered vertically and positioned near the staff. The flag was roughly 3 feet tall and 4 feet wide. Onto this flag, the various units placed the 13 stars of the Confederacy in a variety of patterns and colors to make their own flag unique.

In honor of Gen. Pemberton, our Camp flag is based on the battle flag of his Army of Vicksburg. The 13 stars of the Confederacy are arranged in the pattern of a keystone. This symbolizes both Gen. Pemberton’s heritage as a Pennsylvanian and our location. As units would emblazon their flags with their unit names and location, our flag also is so appointed.

When we honor our Camp Colors and take them to events for others to see, we not only honor ourselves and our namesake, but also the men of all the units of the Army of Vicksburg and all the nearly forgotten symbols of our heritage. Our brave and glorious ancestors fought and died under scores of flags they loved dearly. As we fight to maintain our more well-known symbols, we must also work to ensure that all the other symbols and flags of our Confederate ancestors are also saved.